All computers on the student network need to have the following to ensure a safer network and enhance the performance of your computer and the network.
- Updated operating system
- Installed and updated anti-virus software
- Installed and updated anti-spyware software
Florida Southern College has implemented a system called Impulse to ensure all student computers are up-to-date. To access the internet you will need to download the Impulse Policy Key and install it. To do this simply open an internet browser and you will be walked through the steps. The software will then automatically register your computer and notify you of any areas needing updates. In addition the system will provide instructions on how to perform the required updates.
- Open your internet browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Netscape)
- If you use the AOL browser, you will need to open Internet Explorer to authenticate. After you have completed this process you can continue to use your AOL browser normally.
- A login screen will appear – log in using your network (email) login.
- Do not use your FSC Portal/On-line Student Info login.
- You will need to accept the Internet Policy and download and install the Policy Key.
- Other messages will appear depending on your compliance with the operating system, anti-virus, and anti-spam update requirements.
- Instructions are provided on-line to walk you through areas that you need to update.
Other Important Notes:
- One added benefit of this system is that you will not need to submit your computer’s physical address as you did last year.
- FSC has purchased a site license for Norton (Symantec) anti-virus that students can use free of charge. You will be licensed for this software as long as you are a student at FSC.
- If you currently have anti-virus software you can continue using that or switch to Norton. If you switch to Norton you must uninstall any other anti-virus software that you have on your computer.
- Install/Uninstall information is available on-line via Impulse or hard copy from the helpdesk.
- You will be required to have anti-virus software installed on your computer to have internet access. You may use the FSC provided software (Norton) or others in the list provided at the end of this document.
- Warning messages will be issued periodically for other areas in which you are not in compliance. You will not be blocked from internet access by these messages.
- In the future, FSC may modify the policies to require compliance in additional areas. You will be notified in advance of any changes.
If you have questions please contact the help desk at ext. 6426 or send an email to IShelp@flsouthern.edu.
We would appreciate any feedback that you have about the system.
Anti-Virus Software that will meet the requirements:
- Symantec Anti-Virus Corp. Edition (free to FSC students)
- Symantec 2005
- TrendMicro Corporate
- McAfee NA
- EZ Anti-Virus