Roxanne Back, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Mathematics
“Learning is an active process. As an instructor, I help students to construct their own knowledge through engaged learning experiences. Too often students are worried about making mistakes or getting the wrong answer in class. However, we can often learn more from a wrong answer than a correct one. The classroom should be a safe place to explore new ideas, ask questions, and make mistakes.”
I earned my bachelor's degree in mathematics here at Florida Southern College. Then I went on to graduate school and earned a Ph. D. in mathematics from Auburn University. I taught for nine years at a small private college in Wisconsin before returning to FSC. It's great to be back!
Auburn University, Auburn, AL, Ph.D. Mathematics, 2010
Florida Southern College, Lakeland, FL, B.A. Mathematics, 1999
Honors and Awards
- Judge of Student Presentations; MAA Math Fest, Madison WI, 2012
- Referee for Papers submitted to The Pentagon (undergraduate math journal); 2009-present
- Member: Math Association of America; 2008-present
- Member: Wisconsin Mathematics Council; 2008–present
- Judge of Student Papers for National KME Convention; April 2007
- MMC Mini-grant; Fall 2006, Spring 2007
- ETS Recognition of Excellence Award; Fall 2006
- Fellowship: University Wisconsin Milwaukee; 2000
- B.P. Reinsch Mathematics Award; Florida Southern College, 1999