Gary Oliphant, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Business Administration
“I came to Florida Southern College because of its emphasis on engaged/experiential learning and global citizenship through the junior journey program. This follows my belief that true learning takes place through doing.”
Dr. Gary Oliphant was the Director for the Joseph C. Prince Entrepreneurship Program at Stetson University. He has also served as the Chair of the Decision and Information Science Department at Stetson and has taught Marketing area at Stetson University, University of Nebraska (Omaha), and Florida State University. He has over 25 years of teaching experience at the collegial level.
He has worked in several government agencies as a planning manager, in the nuclear industry as system analyst, and has owned several different companies, one of which was the second largest real estate publication in the United States. In his classes he makes theories come alive with real world business examples. He believes in hands-on, applied projects and experiential learning methods in his courses. He continues to teach as a Visiting Professor at Kufstein University (Austria), has taught in the Stetson University International Program in Austria-Germany-Italy on both the MBA and undergraduate level for the past eight years, and he and his wife (Rebecca who also teaches at Florida Southern) has led many student groups on international trips to China, Japan, South Korea, Germany, Italy, Vietnam, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Australia, and New Zealand and most recently traveled around the world in the Semester at Sea program sponsored by the University of Virginia.
Upon the sale of his real estate publishing business, he continued his love for business by consulting in many different fields and industries for the past twenty–five years. Dr. Oliphant is an entrepreneur turned educator. He is passionate about working with students in unlocking their latent talent in the areas of creativity, critical thinking, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
His current research interests are in the areas of Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship, Start-ups, Freshman Studies, Interviewing, Team Formation, Project Management, and International Education and have presented research in these areas at international/national conferences and in many peer-reviewed journals.
Ph.D., Florida State University, December 1993
MBA, Florida State University, August 1989
M.Ed., California University of Pennsylvania, August 1987
B.A., California State College, Pennsylvania, June 1978
Honors and Awards
- Innovator of the Year, 2014-15 (School of Business, Stetson University).
- Dean’s Team Award (2013 and 2104).
- Stetson Entrepreneurial Group (SEG) was awarded one of Top Hatter Leadership Awards – “Student Program of the Year -2014”.
- Coleman Foundation Fellowship Grant (2015-16), $34,000, Development of four new courses (History, Communications, Economics, and Theatre) outside the School of Business that incorporate entrepreneurial concepts within the course.
- Coleman Foundation Fellowship Grant (2014-15), $26,000, Development of four new courses outside the School of Business that incorporate entrepreneurial concepts within the courses (MUSC 300 – Career Skills for the Entrepreneurial Musician, CSCI 321- Software Development II, HIST 290S-Introduction to Public History, and DIGA-Senior Project).
- Received Semester at Sea Spring 2013 “Friend to All Students.”
- Nominee, McEniry Award for Teaching Excellence.
- Coordinated the SAP certification workshops that were held on Stetson Campus. They were one of only three certification courses offered by SAP for students in the U.S. (2005, 2007).
- Recognized at the SAP Innovation Congress in Miami, FL for receiving the SAP grant award of $25,000 for the Curriculum Renewal Award, 2003.
- Stetson Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE Grant).
- Received a $2,000 Hand Grant from Stetson University, To review and recommend a performance-based testing program to be used in all introduction technology courses (2000).
- Received funding from the Hollis Renaissance Program for $15,000, (1999).
- Received a $90,000 contract from Peer Logic, middleware developer from San Francisco, to be used for the Stetson Software Institute, (1999).
- Service Award, School of Business Administration, Stetson University, (2010).
- Service Award, School of Business Administration, Stetson University, (1997).
- Service Award, School of Business Administration, Stetson University, (1996).
- SBI Award (graduate), Nebraska Business Development Center – Best Case Study (1994).
- SBI Award (graduate), Nebraska Business Development Center – Best Case Study (1993).
- SBI Award (graduate), Nebraska Business Development Center – Best Case Study (1992).
- Southern Marketing Association Doctoral Consortium Fellow, (1991).